I have done much reading and research and I am amazed that I have never found anything that talked about the following questions regarding a 301 redirect. This is regarding a site that has different content than the site it is being redirected to but 97% identical in relevancy.
1. What happens to the site that is redirected? Do you still maintain it and optimize the keywords, etc.?
2. Does the website or page that is being redirected still appear in google results? if so for how long?
3. What happens to the content of the redirected site? Does it get added to the new site somehow? Can its content be seen anywhere? Do the files from it show up on the new site somewhere? Do I have to move the content to the base site little by little?
4. Do the incoming links of the redirected site eventually automatically get transfered to the base site over time?
5. If I cancel the 301 a year later say because I want to use the domain for something different , what happens to the redirected site? Is it considered a new domain with no PR, age , etc.?
These seem like extremely important questions nobody talks about. (at least the discussions have avoided me!) Can anyone help?
0 · ·